Clearing – What To Do on the Big DayFriday, August 8, 2014 12:00 AM
The first thing to say is that you should seek Clearing advice from your teachers and careers officers as they will be able to guide you through the process, and you should look at advice sites such as UCAS and the Telegraph as they will give you the step by step guide.
It’s the big day. Results day. You’ve done your pre-research on Clearing so you have your list of alternative courses and universities if your results are not as good as you needed for your place at University. One of two things will now happen:
- Your results will be what you hoped for, your university confirms your place and you go off to celebrate. Hooray!
- Your results are below what you needed and your university cannot hold your place. You need to go through University Clearing. BUT, you have done some excellent research and you are ready to hit the phone.
- If you want to keep with your first choice university and have done research on our Course Finder then you will know which are the most likely courses at that same university that will accept your grades.
- If you want to stick with your subject, then you will have researched which universities are most likely to accept your grades.
- You may choose to change both course and university now.
When the results are published, you should go on to the brilliant ‘Clearing Course Finder’. This is a handy one-stop clearing advice application where you key in your A-level subjects and grades, and the subject you want to study from a drop-down menu. The Course Finder then shows a list of suggested universities to approach first for a clearing place, based on previously accepted A-level grades for their chosen courses. Compare the list of universities and the course with those that you have already researched and compile your hitlist.
After the exam results are published, the next thing to happen is the publication of the course vacancy lists, on the UCAS website and the Telegraph newspaper and online. These course vacancies will be snapped up quickly, but from your research on the bC4me Clearing Course Finder, you will already have the necessary list and can be ready and waiting by the telephone.